Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Today's Special: Roasted Sheen


Charlie Sheen is a hurt man. Whether he's "winning" or not, the debacle with Chuck Lorre and Two and a Half Men was enough to send Sheen on a tirade that spawned several television appearances, his own webcast (Sheen's Korner), a lawsuit, and a national tour. Obviously, the man has been offended.

On Sept. 10, all of this endless publicity, and the wild behavior that preceded it, will be fodder for more laughs at Charlie Sheen's expense - and he couldn't be any happier about it.

Comedy Central is airing a roast of the infamous "warlock" on Sept. 19 (taped on the 10th), which also happens to be the same day that Two and a Half Men premieres with the debut of Ashton Kutcher as Sheen's replacement.

Originally, I thought that it would be airing at the same time, but apparently the Comedy Central Roast of Charlie Sheen will be on an hour after the CBS sitcom's premiere. How poetic would it have been if they competed in the same time slot? I pause to wonder why that isn't so.

“You could say I’ve been providing kindling for this roast for a while,” said Sheen, in a statement. "It's time to light it up."

I've never watched Two and a Half Men and I haven't been a fan of Charlie Sheen since Hot Shots, but I don't think I'll be able to turn away from a bunch of celebrities taking shots at the out-of-work actor, simply for the spectacle that it'll undoubtedly be. I expect ginormous ratings.

And even though I find Charlie Sheen to be quite an arrogant piece of work, milking his termination for all it's worth, I certainly don't despise him or deem him unworthy of success. The guy is obviously making the absolute best out of a fairly crappy situation, and he certainly has his demons. Therefore, in an odd sense, I support him. I wish him sobriety, success, and the best that life has to offer (and I'm not talking about goddesses).

I'll definitely be tuning in on Sept. 19, solely because I agree with what Charlie Sheen said as a conclusion to his statement regarding the roast: "It’s going to be epic."

2 comments:

  1. You SHOULD watch two and a half men. As far as sitcoms go it's pretty funny and has hilarious and lovable characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've heard nothing but positive things about the show. I've just never been a big fan of Sheen's or Cryer's, but I'll definitely take what you said into consideration.

    Discovering awesome new shows that have been on for some time is always a pleasure. I order a little take-out, sit back, and play "catch-up" for as long as I can. A little lazy, but oh-so-fun.

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete